Do you worry about the quality of the air that you’re breathing when you’re at home? It’s not surprising that you do. Between household cleaners, air pollution, and your kids’ dirty socks, it can be hard to get a breath that feels clean.
There’s no shortage of products designed to help improve the quality of the air inside your home. Some are electric, while others rely on more low-tech methods of purifying the air. One such product is NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags, which claim to offer an affordable alternative to expensive air purifiers. Do they work – and should you buy them? Those are the questions we aim to answer with this review.
What Are NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags?
NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags are quite simple. Each bag consists of a linen outside. The linen is gray and seems to be of a relatively cheap quality. Inside the bag is activated bamboo charcoal. You may already know that charcoal can be used as a purifier. It’s often added to water filters and purification systems. It also can be used in toothpaste, facial masks, and other beauty products.
On the left side of each bag is a metal grommet. The grommet is there to make it easy for you to hang the bag in a closet or on the back of a door. They’re designed to be unobtrusive, especially when compared to electric air purifiers which can be bulky and noisy.
How do NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags Work?
NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags work on the basic principle that activated charcoal has the ability to adsorb (that’s a term that refers to charcoal’s ability to capture chemicals, spores, and other molecules on its interior and exterior surfaces) harmful chemicals and unpleasant odors.
Specifically, NatureFresh claims that these Air Purifier bags can do the following things:
- Capture harmful chemicals such as benzene, chloroform, formaldehyde, and ammonia so you won’t breathe them in
- Prevent the growth of mold and mildew in your home, car, and refrigerator
- Wick excess moisture out of the air
- Eliminate unpleasant pet and food odors
The activated bamboo charcoal is the ingredient that makes these claims possible. When you hang a NatureFresh bag in your home, its job is to capture chemicals, allergens, and odors as they pass through the bag. The harmful things attach to the charcoal leaving you with safe, clean air to breathe.
The company says that NatureFresh Air Purifier bags can free your home of paint and chemical odors and give you the pure air you want. Later in the review, we will examine those claims to see if they stand up to scrutiny.
Where Can You Use NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags?
One of the things that may make an air purifier bag (or a series of them) preferable to an electric air purification system is that the bags are small and unobtrusive. That means you can use them in some places that you wouldn’t be able to use an air purification unit.
NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags can be used in:
- Common living areas and bedrooms in your home
- Your garage or attic
- Your vehicle
- Your refrigerator or freezer
The bags are small and in a neutral gray color. In our opinion, they are not as attractively made as Breathe-Free Eco-Friendly Charcoal Bags. They look similar, but the difference in quality is apparent. That may make them less appealing if you plan to use them throughout your home.
Is There Research to Back Up the Claims About NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags?
We always like to check out the claims made by the products we review to see if there’s any scientific support for them. In the case of NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags, there was plenty of research to review.
Let’s start with formaldehyde, which is extremely toxic to both people in pets. A Japanese study tested the ability of activated charcoal to adsorb formaldehyde. It concluded that of the two, activated charcoal was far more effective at filtering out formaldehyde in indoor environments than graphitized carbon.
We were also able to find a study that examined the ability of activated charcoal to remove benzene from the air. The study combined benzene with another chemical called cyclohexane. It then compared the results with activated charcoal to those with another filtering substance called graphitized carbon. The results were that the activated charcoal was far more effective when it came to removing benzene from the air.
A different study from Japan looked specifically at the adsorption of ammonia by activated charcoal. Ammonia is an ingredient in many common household cleaning products and is toxic to humans. The study found that activated charcoal did a good job of removing ammonia from the air.
We were unable to find any studies that looked specifically at activated charcoal and chloroform. However, we did find one that showed that activated charcoal did a good job of removing other harmful substances from the air, including carbon monoxide and butane.
In addition to the things we’ve already mentioned, a review of studies also noted that activated charcoal could be used to filter second-hand smoke and other potentially harmful chemicals.
From these studies, we can conclude that activated charcoal has the capability to remove chemicals from the air. Since many home air purification systems use charcoal in their filters, charcoal bags like NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags offer a lower-cost alternative to expensive machines.
What Comes With Your Order of NatureFresh Purifier Bags?
What will you get for your money if you decide to order NatureFresh Purifier Bags? That’s an important question to ask because it will help you determine whether you should spend your money on this product.
Sometimes, products that are sold online come with a slew of bonus items designed to convince you of the quality of the initial item. That’s not the case with NatureFresh Purifier Bags.
This is a very simple product. When you order, you’ll get a minimum of two NatureFresh bags. While the bags have a grommet, there is no hanging apparatus included. If you want to be able to hang them right away, you’ll need to make a trip to the hardware store to get what you need.
Pros and Cons of NatureFresh Purifier Bags
NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags have their advantages and disadvantages, which are essential to consider when deciding whether they are the right choice for you. Here is a comprehensive list of the pros and cons of NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags:
- Cost-Effective Alternative: NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags offer a cost-effective alternative to electric home air purification units and systems. They are generally more affordable upfront and do not require any additional expenses, such as electricity or filter replacements.
- Convenient Ordering and Delivery: These air purifier bags can be easily ordered online, offering a convenient shopping experience. You can have them delivered right to your doorstep without the hassle of searching for them in physical stores.
- Effective Odor and Toxin Removal: Charcoal, the primary ingredient in NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags, has been scientifically proven to effectively remove toxins and odors from the air. The porous structure of the charcoal allows it to adsorb impurities, leaving the air fresher and cleaner.
- Eco-Friendly and Natural Solution: NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags are an eco-friendly option compared to traditional air purifiers that may utilize filters or chemicals. The bags are made from natural materials and are biodegradable, making them a more sustainable choice for those concerned about the environment.
- Less Attractive Appearance: One potential downside of NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags is their appearance. While functionality is crucial, the bags may not be as visually appealing as some other air purifier products on the market. This aspect may be a consideration for those who prioritize aesthetics in their living space.
- Minimum Purchase Requirement: NatureFresh Purifier Bags cannot be purchased individually. To order them, you will need to buy at least two bags. This minimum purchase requirement may be inconvenient if you only need one or have a limited budget.
- Limited Availability: As of now, NatureFresh Air Purifier Bags are only available for purchase online. This means you may not be able to find them in physical stores, limiting your options if you prefer in-person shopping or immediate availability.
Our take is that NatureFresh Purifier Bags are essentially a more cheaply-made knock-off of Breathe Green Eco-Friendly Charcoal Bags. They’ll do a fair job of removing odors and chemicals, but considering that the price is essentially the same, you’d be better off buying the Breathe Green bags instead.
How Much Do NatureFresh Purifier Bags Cost?
By now, you’re probably wondering how much it will cost you to order NatureFresh Purifier Bags. As we mentioned previously, the pricing structure is the same as it is for Breathe Green Eco-Friendly Charcoal Bags, but the quality is not as good – something that makes the price of these bags problematic.
Here’s how the pricing breaks down:
- Buy two bags for $39.95 and you’ll get one bag free
- By three bags for $59.95 and you’ll get two bags free
- Buy five bags for $99.95 and you’ll get five bags free
- Buy eight bags for $159.95 and you’ll get 12 bags free
As you can see, there are some real incentives to buy a lot of bags at once. If you buy two bags, you’ll pay about $13 per bag. Buying eight lowers the price to only $8 per bag.
We want to note that there is no shipping charge associated with NatureFresh Purifier Bags. The only way you need to pay for shipping is if you take advantage of their 90-day money-back guarantee, in which case you will pay out-of-pocket for the shipping.
Our Final Recommendation
Our final recommendation is that NatureFresh Purifier Bags are not the best value for your money if you’re in the market for charcoal air purification bags. Their overall quality is not good. We recommend you buy Breathe Green Eco-Friendly Charcoal Bags as a better alternative. You can read our review on that product by clicking here or you can order it directly by clicking here.
Affiliate Disclaimer: Some links that you click are affiliate links and we are compensated for some of our referrals. This does not influence our recommendation & you do not pay more.