Table of Contents
Store-bought dog treats often carry preservatives that can potentially harm your pet. If they are high quality, the chances are that they are very expensive and might not always carry the nutrition you want your dog to get. If your dog has allergies, it can be even harder and more expensive to find the right kind of treats.
This is why trying out homemade, preservative-free and affordable treats is a great option for both you and your pet. Not only can this be a nutritious meal, but it can also be a tasty alternative.
Here are seven easy DIY dog treats that you can make at home:
Peanut Butter Treat
If your dog enjoys peanut butter, this is the perfect recipe for you to try out.
- Combine two cups of flour with 2 eggs and half a cup of peanut butter.
- Mix well and add water in order to make the dough for the cookies.
- Leave the dough in the oven for 15-20 minutes, and your treat is ready!
Chicken Wild Rice Treat
This treat provides a very wholesome meal for your dog.
- It requires a cup of rice, chicken, 3 tablespoons of rice flour, 1 tablespoon of parsley and a beaten egg.
- Combine all the ingredients and make small treats to bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve when cool.
Almond Oatmeal Hypoallergenic Treat
This treat is perfect if your dog has allergies and because of its nutritional value.
- Mix a cup of rice flour, half a cup of oatmeal and of almond butter, 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of water together to make the dough and bake for 12-15 minutes.
Flavorful Trail Mix
This is one of the easiest treats to make as it combines leftovers for your pet in a tasty treat.
- All you require is chunks of unseasoned meat, potatoes, vegetables (not onions) and fruit (not raisins or grapes).
- Cut all ingredients into half an inch thick chunks and place them in a preheated oven until dry.
Frozen Apple Dog Treat
These treats are perfect during the summer heat.
- Take two sliced and core-free apples, some water and one cup of plain yogurt.
- Blend all ingredients in a juicer and pour it out in a tray to freeze before giving to your pet.
Gluten-Free Dog Treat
For grain allergies, this is a great dog treat.
- Combine oats or rice flour with bananas and peanut butter and cook for 25-30 minutes.
Not only is this very delicious, but this treat also has high nutritional value for your pet.
- Mix half a cup of canned pumpkin, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and 4 tablespoons of water and molasses.
- Then add 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1/4 teaspoon each of baking powder and baking soda to the mixture and stir until the dough softens.
- Scoop small balls of the dough onto a greased sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.